Friday, May 1, 2009

Mummy says NO - 12months old

Zo Ee at 12months 2weeks old. (29/4/2009)



Zo Ee loves to play at the television cabinet though we strongly prohibited her in doing so. She loves to bring her toys over there, placing them on different levels or removing and replacing CDs between different storage levels. I know that she is just trying things out but I get worried whenever she plays near the television even though it’s on standby mode. (Still has electricity stored in the transformer and also electrostatic - Err..some knowledge from my old job)

Few days ago, Zo Ee accidentally knocked one speaker down onto the floor. I knew she wasn’t playing with the speaker nor intentionally pushed it onto the floor like other times. I saw with my own eyes that it was an accident; as she was trying to place her toy next to the speaker and thus accidentally pushed it off the cabinet.

Still, I called out to her in a very stern voice, “Zo Ee, No!!! Mummy says no play speaker. “ Zo Ee turned around facing me and from her reaction, she seemed in shocked hearing my voice and scared seeing my serious face (maybe she was confused as why mummy was scolding her as she wasn't playing with the speaker, to her - the speaker had fallen off by itself). Then I moved towards her, facing her face to face, “ Zo Ee, look at mummy. Mummy says NO touch speaker. You are not supposed to touch speaker. This is not a toy. It’s very dangerous to play with the speaker.” Zo Ee sensed something was wrong and stood there quietly (usually she is very cheeky and playful with me, hugs me whenever I'm nearby her). When she avoided eyes contact, I said in a stern voice again, “ Zo Ee, look at mummy, NO touch speaker, NO play speaker. OK?” while pointing at the speaker with my finger again. I think Zo Ee can understand me in prohibiting her touching the speaker, that's why she was not playing with it. But I doubt she knows the reason behind why it had fallen(accidentally pushed off by her toy) or why she is not allowed to touch the speaker. This may be a little confusing to a baby and her curiosity “why I am not allowed to touch this speaker? or why is mummy angry when the speaker had fallen onto the floor by itself?” as babies have no sense of danger at this age, neither do they understand these abstract words “dangerous” or "accident".


When I was done, Zo Ee tried to make amend with me (though not fully her fault), she tried to distract my attention, pointing at a toy nearby while telling me what it was. But this time, I didn’t react with enthusiasm nor did I look at what she was pointing at. I was still looking sternly into her eyes (I was not angry with her at all, my intention is to let her get the message and be consistent in prohibiting her touching/playing with the speaker/television). When Zo Ee looked into my eyes again, she knew that mummy was really not happy and this of course gave her some emotional stress (afraid and confused). So just for assurance, she willingly tottered a few unaided steps towards me and hugged me tightly. Of course I responded (deep down- my heart ache seeing her worried face) and hugged her tightly in my arms and little Zo Ee was all happy and secured again.

No comments:

Post a Comment