Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Reading the newspaper - 12months old

Zo Ee at 12months 3weeks old. (3/5/2009)


Zo Ee reading the Sunday Times dated 3rd May 2009.



Some may think that the newspaper is too difficult for a baby, but I have tested Zo Ee and she can read most of the words (80%) as most words used are what we called frequent words. And till date, I have taught her at least 800 written words (those that I can count from word cards and flashcards, but these do not include words from books or other materials).


Frankly speaking, looking at Zo Ee's speed of learning and her ever growing appetite in learning, I am running out of teaching materials. For months, I couldn’t find anymore new categories flashcards for her in the market. So our temporary solution for the pass 3 months is to borrow books from the library weekly. Since then, everyday, I read to her an average of 8 books per day(at least once, usually twice). Furthermore, Zo Ee has started showing new ability in reading words which are totally new to her, so I think it's time to move another step further; I am thinking to start her on short sentences. Unfortunately, there aren’t many books with prints big enough for her age. So in my opinion, the newspaper is a good teaching tool. Big print (titles) , variety of words and most of all, this can save me time in making extra teaching material.



No comments:

Post a Comment