Monday, May 25, 2009

0 to 9 - 13months old

Zo Ee at 13months 2weeks old. (24/5/2009)






Past few days (week), we have been doing thorough house cleaning, and today I decided to wash Zo Ee’s playmats. While putting them back to their usual position, I got Zo Ee to help. Of course, she was excited, not really helping but just be part of the team. To get her involved, I asked Zo Ee to handle me those numbers for me to slot them back into the correct mats. I didn’t expect her to know them as I have not really taught her these symbols yet (concentrating on dots cards first, to avoid confusion).

Surprise! Surprise! It’s so surprising that my little Zo Ee could pass me all the correct numbers 0 to 9 because we only have number playmats up to the digit nine. Though Zo Ee can perceive 0-100 dots (dots cards) and has been doing 2-steps maths equations, but all my maths teaching revolving dots only and not numbers in symbol. This is a very interesting finding, kept me wondering, " when did she learn all her numbers (0 -9)? Purely from the few books we borrowed? Maybe she does know more than 9 (didn’t test her beyond 9)? "

A little update on Zo Ee's maths progress:
I am pretty slow in teaching her maths, had stopped for 2 weeks due to many distractions; spring cleaning the house and Zo Ee was sick the whole of last week. Nevertheless, I will try to keep on teaching her. So far, I have completed the 2-steps equations (combining addition with subtraction, eg: 79 + 7 – 3 = 83 ) and I still have a day or two lessons on 2-steps equations (combining multiplication with division, eg: 95 / 5 x 3 = 57). After this, I’ll move on to 3-steps equations (combining addition with subtraction, eg: 12 + 3 - 10 - 0 = 5) and (combining multiplication with division, eg: 1 x 2 x 10 / 4 = 5) I’ll need another 1 week time in preparing these new 3-steps equations. So further delay is expected.




................................................................................
Then


11 months old
doing 2-steps maths equations with dots cards.



10 months old
Zo Ee can perceive 0 to 100 dots.



No comments:

Post a Comment