Friday, June 5, 2009

Reading Alphabet – 13months

Zo Ee at 13months 3weeks old. (4/6/2009)




Yesterday, Zo Ee amazed me again. I overheard her reading aloud the alphabet while she was browsing the alphabet book herself. Ooops…she indeed managed to read and say most of the alphabet except W, X, Y but I didn't manage to capture all of it. By the time I caught hold of the video camera, she was already reading I,and J and she was so engrossed in her reading that she didn't notice me at all. Unfortunately, when she did notice me with the video camera, she stopped reading and was more interested in my video camera instead. I tried to recapture by asking her to read for me again (part 2), but she did not read as loud and didn't really coorperate. This encountered also reminds me of few days ago, where she indeed pointed at the Parking sign, "P" at the road side, telling us aloud "P!" but we didn't really take note at that time as she is pretty active in trying to communicate with us lately.


Though I have taught her the alphabet but all this while I did not really emphasize for her to master them because letters/alphabet are abstract to little one. There is no way that we can explain what is a letter “A or B or C” is? They are something one has to accept as they are. So I rather teach her words first, and from there she can associate words with letters herself. And I have never borrowed any alphabet book for her prior to this nor does she own any. Even this one, I was a little hesitant whether to borrow for her last weekend, but I finally gave in because there are some sentences at the bottom of each page. I was more interested at those sentences than those letters at each page.

Hmm…although we did know that Zo Ee recognizes all her alphabet (a few months ago) but the present of this book has display Zo Ee’s hidden ability, reading them as well.


Note: While this video was captured in the morning, the above photo was taken after bath, intentionally posing for this blog . (Do excuse the mess around the sofa, that's the usual mess created by Zo Ee everyday while browsing her books).

No comments:

Post a Comment