Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Multiplication & dancing - 3 year old

Zo Ee at 3 year old. (5/10/2011)

Few days ago, I saw a Multiplication workbook with an attractive CD at a bargain price, S$5.50 at the local bookshop and couldn’t resist buying it. If I see a book or a toy that I like, I’ll have to buy it immediately whether its on bargain or not because people here don’t keep stock; what you see is what you get and you won’t be able to get two same items at the same shop. Neither will they help you to order later or re-order their same old stocks. Basically, imported books and toys are treated like precious here; children are not supposed to touch it.

When I got home, Zo Ee was excited seeing the new book, immediately she wanted to do multiplication. My idea was to keep it for her later, maybe after she knows her time tables as I have not yet introduced any to her. She insisted and ended up copying the answers from the table provided with the book. She finished these in 10minutes; 2 pages for 10 minutes not bad but most importantly she was satisfied. This really makes me think at her other current workbooks; where she will finish a dozen pages in that same amount of time. I’m thinking which is more appropriate for her? She can do 20 addition sums (up to 10) in less than 5 minutes and not as fast for addition sums more than 10.



She ended up dancing with her Minnie along with these multiplication songs. This is a typical her, dancing freely in front of the television which acts as her mirror; she can actually dance up to 2 hours non-stop, pausing only during songs transition. Laughing and not getting tired. She may sit down to read a book after that.



Recently, a few incidents really make me think, should I treat her like a 3 year old or a 6 year old? If she is capable of doing things like an average 6 year old, why would I hesitate to teach her Chess or multiplication or 2nd grade math but will allow her to play other toys beyond that age without second thought. Am I being fair to restrict her just because she is 3 now or will I restrict her of these similar activities if she were to be six? scratch In fact, she has started singing along on her second day, so I foresee she’ll know her multiplication very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment