Monday, August 31, 2009

Tired... 16 months old

Zo Ee at 16months 3weeks old. (29/8/2009)

I first noticed little Zo Ee using the word “tired” more than a month ago (around 15-months old) and I have heard little Zo Ee saying the word “tired” a few times, just before her afternoon nap. Usually whenever I noticed a tired Zo Ee, I’ll ask her, “Zo Ee, are you tired? Do you want to have a nap?” Most of the time, little Zo Ee will immediately start to suck her thumb.( Zo Ee has this habit ; sucking her thumb whenever she is tired or hungry.) There were a few occasions where little Zo Ee replied me, “tired” instead. But today’s incident really caught my attention because I wasn't asking her whether she was tired or not, therefore, I was not expecting the word "tired" from her just now.
Little Zo Ee fell asleep in the living room just before we were to go out for dinner. Merely 30minutes of napping, and Daddy was about to wake her up, she was awaken abruptly, choking from her congested nostrils, back nasal dripped back into her throat. The coughing Zo Ee started to cry and throw tantrum. Daddy and I could sense that she was frustrated with her congested nostrils and our poor little Zo Ee does not know how to blow her nose yet. She was very cranky and this is not the usual Zo Ee to us but Daddy and I understood that little Zo Ee is a bit unwell with slight running nose and frequent uncomfortable sneezing. Therefore, when she was crying inconsolably, Daddy and I were trying our best to calm her while she was still struggling with her congested nostrils. Although she was feeling a little relief later on, she was still a cry baby. So I probed further, while still comforting her, I asked “Why? Zo Ee. It’s ok, Mummy is here. Mummy knows that Zo Ee is unwell. It’s ok. Mummy is here.” And to my surprised, little Zo Ee replied me, “Tired!”. (“Woo hoo!” Little Zo Ee was telling me that she was tired. Unbelievable!) Even though I was extremely surprised at that moment, I kept myself calm for Zo Ee sake, so I continued to calm her, “Tired? It’s ok. Let Mummy gives you a hug.” This time, little Zo Ee replied tenderly, “tired…” as she leaned forward to hug me.

1 comment: